Thursday, July 21, 2011

Vratsa

We toured Vratsa yesterday. The mountains are beautiful! I have had my picture taken with more statues in the last 10 days than I have in my lifetime. Some of them are so huge, you just can't imagine until you stand next to them. I can't put pictures on until we get back to Megan's house.

My legs and feet are tired today. We hiked up, what felt like 4,000 steps, to see the statue of the "guy on the horse". The view was amazing! I think if I wanted to see it again I would pay someone to drive me there! I'm sure they don't allow people to drive on the road that does go up there but it would be fun to try to find someone to do it.

Today, we are off to Popitsa to visit with Megan's host family. Hopefully, it will be a short visit and we will head back to Megan's. I feel like I have the deer in headlights look a lot. I have picked up on a few Bulgarian words but not much. It's always nice when they speak a little English, her host family does not.

The other day I was waiting outside of Megan's building for her to come down. A lady started talking to me in Bulgarian. I said the word English, she kept on talking and pointed to the other building. Luckily, I had met Lexi, another Peace Corps volunteer and knew that she lived in that building. I said Megan, and this lady got more excited, kept on talking away. Then I said the word mama and she really exploded! Come to find out it was the crazy cleaning lady I've heard so much about. Megan said she was probably telling me all about her grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment